After the zoo we went to my cousin Jayme's house. She lives near Valley Park, MO which, if you didn't know, has been hit by a lot of flooding this week. We got off the interstate at her exit around 3 pm. The water under the interstate had 2 lanes blocked, and the traffic was starting to back up. The road that we take to get to her house was flooded, so we waited at the gas station for her to get there to show us another way into her house. It took her a long time to get there, the traffic was REALLY backing up. By the time the 10 o'clock news came on that evening, the entire intersection that was starting to flood when we went through, was completely under water. It was closed. Brenda and Don got Carter Easter presents too. He got some new outfits, a sand bucket, bath toys, a toy truck, a cup, chocolates, and a farm animal noise making toy. Thanks guys! The next morning the water was still rising. Carter and I were planning on leaving that morning and going to Grandma Beth's. But with the water still coming up, the interstate was backed up as crews worked to sandbag along the Meramec River, to keep the water from completely shutting down the interstate. At first I thought we would have to stay another night, but because the water wasn't suppose to crest until Saturday afternoon, I was afraid the interstate would be under water and we wouldn't be able to get home until after it reopened, which could have been sometime today. So Jayme called on her way to work and said the interstate didn't look too bad, and if we were going to go, we had better go before they had to completely shut it down. Well we did. It wasn't too bad from where Jayme was when she called, but just beyond that...whoa, it was a virtual parking lot. It took us nearly 3 hours to go 10 miles. I took a lot of pictures while we were sitting there doing nothing. The flooding was incredible. The traffic was even more incredible.
We finally got to Beth's house about 4 hours after we left Jayme's. Beth has a camp ground on the Gasconade River in Jerome. It also had flooded this week, but the water had already crested and was going down pretty quickly. On Saturday morning we drove down to the river and their cabin was no longer under water...but it was a mess! There was mud on everything. I'm sure they are having a great Easter weekend cleaning up the mess the river left for them. We spent the night at Beth's, and Jen and Cooper came down so the boys could play for a little while. Saturday afternoon, Carter and I headed to Grandma and Grandpa Z's for a little Easter Celebration. The Easter bunny had already been there and had hid eggs and Easter baskets for Dylan and Carter.
Once the boys had found the plastic eggs and their baskets, they colored some hard boiled eggs. Grandma got an 'egg spinner' that colored the eggs and was really easy for Carter to use...where was my camera? Right next to me...I have no clue what was wrong with me...I missed an opportunity to get some cute pictures. Grandma got Carter some bubbles, a tractor and a beach towel for vacation this summer. Katie and Dylan got Carter a bouncy ball, arm floats for the pool, and a watering can so he can help dad in the garden (mom kills things in the garden, so she's not allowed out there). When we got home last night, I cooked a few eggs and Carter and I colored them, so that I could get some pictures.
The Easter bunny came last night and brought Carter a bubble blowing lawn mower, some candy, and a Cardinals outfit. We are going to the Springfield/St. Louis Cardinals game next Saturday. So he needed a new Cardinals outfit, I'm glad the Easter bunny did his research ;). Carter and I also went to church this morning. We are looking forward to seeing Daddy this afternoon, we haven't seen him since we left Thursday morning, he had to stay home and work :(.






1 comment:
I'm glad you guys had a great Easter, and made it home safe. It's been AWESOME spending time w/you, Carter and Clayton. Hopefully we'll see ya tomorrow.
Post a Comment